As part of my assignment for this weekend, I embarked on the nearly impossible task of designing a Google Map feature or Timeline JS for my WordPress site.
On my first attempt, I tried to create a map. This will be easy. Tra la la…I’ll just fill in these blanks and copy and paste. No such luck was had here in Kirksville. I could not seem to get past the “publishing to the internet” button. I published over and over, but I could not paste it into the recently downloaded Google Earth program. After about thirty minutes on the struggle bus, I promptly quit and moved to the Timeline function.
I felt slightly less stupid using the Timeline function, but it was still overwhelming and difficult to use. I managed to publish two events on an actual timeline on my page; however, I cannot seem to publish events with just the year or just the month and year. It demands a full date, which I do not always have from my early stages of research. Putting in pictures seems reasonable, and I like that you can cite sources in the spreadsheet.
BREAKING NEWS: I have successfully published a map to the web…I think. Unfortunately, it was only one site and it looks rather ugly. But I will take what I can get from this spreadsheet nonsense. The directions were long and complicated, and I was very, very confused most of the time. My profane vocabulary expanded exponentially while trying to sort this program out. But I think I am on the right track, and hope that it will be easier as time goes on.
Here’s to feeling internet inept. I think I’ll go read a hard-copy of a book now.