Think about the following questions as you read Kennedy’s first 4 chapters:
- What were Wilson’s goals? Why did he get involved? What were his goals regarding government and mobilization?
- What was the US’s role in the Great War? What does Kennedy see as the nation’s contributions? Weaknesses?
- How would small towns have been affected? Schools? What are the impacts on rights and freedoms during the war?
- What were the issues related to mobilization and conscription? How did race, class, gender, immigration status, etc. play into those issues?
- What is Progressivism and what role does it seem to have played in lead up to and mobilization for American involvement in the Great War?
- What does Kennedy seem to think of Wilson? Of Pershing and the AEF?
- What was the impact of the war on US soldiers who served?